Today another milestone has been reached; we rec’d the construction permit for our addition from Hanover County. Several tasks are now complete:
January 10, 2013 – Began demolition of old utility room which is required prior to constructing the foundation for the addition.
- Water supply line – excavated the area behind the house to locate (below grade) the water supply line and electrical line from the well/pump (homeowner)
- New GE GeoSpring Hybrid Water Heater installed in mud-room (purchased from Sears for $999), new water supply lines and drain lines added to mud-room; (the hybrid water heater creates condensate so we needed a drain line for it as well (plumber)
- Disconnected and stored old water heater and old pump pressure storage tank (plumber)
- New Pump Pressure Storage Tank installed – Water Worker 44-Gallon Vertical Pressure Tank purchased from Lowes.com online, delivered by UPS (pressure tank: $350 – installed by plumber)
- Andersen Doors and Windows – purchased from Home Depot – we received 10% off of the order due to an Andersen promotion through Home Depot (Dec. 2012) plus Home Depot provided additional discounts given it was a volume order resulting in a significant savings overall. You can get a great price from the local building supply retail centers such as Lowes and Home Depot if you know exactly what you want and you let them know you are getting bids. Also, I recommend you have the doors and windows delivered directly to your project site so they don’t end up in the retail center’s warehouse. Fortunately, a good friend of mine is a doors & windows expert and he advised us on the order.